Sunday, October 4, 2009

Domesticity Continued. . .where did this streak come from?

For those of you who follow me on Twitter, you know that I made Chocolate Zucchini Bread today. . .from scratch! It was incredibly easy, however, the evidence below shows why it is not very often I attempt something of this nature.

Pure chaotic mess left behind. :(

My dear sister brought my attention to this awesome blog called Our Best Bites where I came across this recipe for Chocolate Zucchini Bread. A few alterations and mistakes later and it was ready for the oven.

The reason for the foil underneath was a precaution I put in place due to a mistake. I will list out the mistake and alterations below:

I decided not to put in any chocolate chips in order to reduce the amount of sugar in it.
I grated the zucchini extremely finely instead of coarse as the photo in the link shows.
I also used about one cup less of zucchini simply because I had only 2 in my possession. (Not sure if this is a mistake or an alteration. Hmmmm.)
I have an aversion to sour cream so I substituted apple sauce.
However, this is also partially a mistake since I had meant to buy unsweetened apple sauce and did not.
Since the finely grated zucchini was a bit more moist than the coarse alternative, I did not use a full half cup of the apple sauce.
My biggest mistake though, was unwittingly using both baking soda and self rising flour. That would explain the foil under the pans as you see above to catch any possible overflow since I wanted to make the least amount of mess possible. BUT I have decided to use both from now on as it made the bread incredibly light and fluffy. :D

Bread is always better with a little butter.

Not long after it was done, we woke up Liam from his nap and made the mistake of telling him what the bread was called.

As you can see from the expression on his face in the first image, he is not too sure about the taste of something that has both zucchini and chocolate as main ingredients. And he likes zucchini.

As you can also see, his consternation soon vanished. Please excuse the crazy hair as he had just woken up from a nap. ;)
I definitely encourage you to peruse the Our Best Bites site for some unique and yummy recipes. I personally think I'll be trying to make the Almond Poppyseed Bread next.

contact me or view my online portfolio. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment