Monday, November 9, 2009

Something a Little Personal

Some time ago, I was going through a bit of a rough patch where tears came a bit more readily than they had in the past. I am not a crier. In fact, it took me quite a long time to be able to cry in front of my husband except for at times like when his grandmother died.

One week in particular, events transpired that made me unable to hold back from crying in front of my son.

Now, let me clarify a bit. When I say crying in this connotation, I mean full out stormy crying accompanied by body wrenching sobs. The ugly kind.

These outbursts I tried my best to cover with both hands over my face so that my precious little boy would not have to see the grotesque transformation of my face.

The reason I even mention this is that I found a poem today when I was cleaning up my computer.

I few days after all of this had transpired Liam and I were talking and he very innocently and naively asked me:

“Do grown-ups cry?”

I do not think it had ever really crossed his mind before. I know he had to have seen us cry before but this time it struck him in a more profound way most likely because of the intensity. It inspired me to write the below.

Do grown ups cry?

Not a day goes by

When tears do not drop in.

Whether visibly on our faces

Or from an aching deep within.


Yes, my little man.

Tears go hand in hand

Much in the same way,

With being all grown up,

As they do with you today.

Now please do not think that I responded to his question by giving him the impression that life is a vale of tears. I definitely do not think that myself and anyone who knows us can attest to the fact that we are a happy little family. That being said, none can deny that life has it’s fair share of sorrow and that was what this poem is talking about.

Enjoy it for what it is and I am hoping I do not regret posting this as it has been a long time since I have put up anything as deeply personal as this.

On a more cheerful note, I am hard at work on editing a whole bunch of fun goodies that I will be posting about soon. I already have a cool little slideshow up on Facebook for a totally fun and awesome wedding I shot this weekend, so go check it out!!

contact me or view my online portfolio. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment